Dark Mists Banner
   Login    Home
 » Official Dark Mists Forum - Categories » Ideas » Monks (Monks need a buff)
Monks [message #1709] Fri, 25 January 2019 23:52 Go to next message
Grunk is currently offline  Grunk

the Monk Hero
monks are way underplayed its all snake and since the ac changes its harder to survive as a monk

i say give monks some elemental resistance snake strong vs poison, crane water, dragon fire tiger slash, mantis holy

i fought the green dragon twice for the scale and his gas soes so much damage to me i keep dieing
Re: Monks [message #1714 is a reply to message #1709] Sat, 26 January 2019 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thaco is currently offline  Thaco

the Hero of the Shield
Monks are plenty strong... could it be the gear you're wearing? The dragons breath can be quite painful. Your HP likely isn't the best where you are a low con race, and honestly rolls for HP are pretty whack.
Re: Monks [message #1715 is a reply to message #1714] Sat, 26 January 2019 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Minius is currently offline  Minius

THE- Devilishly Handsome Skeletamer, Master of the Tower
I feel the need to ask if you had Chromatic aura. Most monks go for Crusader, and it would explain a lot, if you didn't have aura up.
Re: Monks [message #1716 is a reply to message #1715] Sat, 26 January 2019 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quinn is currently offline  Quinn

the Hero of Heat and Flames, Master of the Tower
the dragons are meant to be hard content. Not to be steamrolled. Gas breath is likely the most painful one on top of that. You already get to ignore over half the fights mechanics so... Yah.
Also. Mantis outdamages snake every day of the weak. 123802193808 attacks don't matter if you only land 3. Get some svb. Also dragon breath gets weaker the lower hp the dragon is. ac changes are fine. one of the reasons it was changed in the first place is because there were dragon monks running around hitting -800.
Re: Monks [message #1718 is a reply to message #1709] Sat, 26 January 2019 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rangvaldr is currently offline  Rangvaldr

the Knight Hero, Leader of the Neverending Crusades
Meh. Just look me up and I'll whack his ugly arse In 2 or three goes...
Re: Monks [message #1724 is a reply to message #1709] Tue, 05 February 2019 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alizaeh is currently offline  Alizaeh

the Enchanting Heroine of Object Manipulation
I know they can be hard, I never was good at dms pk.
But the years have shown me monks are plenty overpowered.

Best case just make many monks and what fits are the truth.
Re: Monks [message #1826 is a reply to message #1724] Wed, 24 July 2019 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iclemore is currently offline  Iclemore

the Monk Hero
I'm going to hard disagree with monks been good.

Compared to most classes with decent gear they are pretty bad.

Mantis might be the one real exception here!

Problems are:
1> Hand-to-hand attacks seem to be more easily blocked than weapon attacks.
2> Despite using the fastest weapon possible (fists), a snake monk barely lands more attacks than a dual-wielding paladin.
Any class with 4+ attacks and dual wield lands more attacks.
3> Predictable and unchangeable damage types.

I mean, lets compare to a BD:
Less damage
Less HP
Similar defence capability
Less lag capability (dance of lightning)
Less 'kill' capability (victory strike rules all)
Abilities which are guaranteed to drop mid combat (Chant, endure, Iron will, rugged training)

Now I can fix monks with 3 simple changes
1> Make monks hand-to-hand as hard to block as a weapon attack, particularly from shields
2> Make monks effectively dual wield their fists and remove 5th attack (6th from snakes)
3> Change the above mentioned abilities to be on a toggle, while active they reduce mana regen. As mastery reaches 100%, then with them all
up you have zero mana regen. Below 100% mastery they basically eat your mana slowly while active.

That would bring their damage output up to decent levels.

To counter what I expect to hear next:
Harmony is incredibly situational and most of the time its useless in PVP because you can't afford the time to drop all your abilties and restore
them.... or you are getting attacked with no abilities active which is pretty much certain death.
Gear options are very limited due to weight, many of the best options in game are just far far too heavy.

Monks are great when most people are running round with relatively low level gear, they are less gear dependent than
most other classes, but now when practically anyone can easily get ave 30 + flags weapons easily and high end gear, they
are lagging behind considerably.

-The sword is only as sharp as the one who wields it
Re: Monks [message #1827 is a reply to message #1826] Wed, 24 July 2019 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zephyrus is currently offline  Zephyrus

the Hero of Air and Storm
Not going to dive into it all, but you're starting off comparing a class to the most OP class in the mud when talking about offensively. All for talking about change. Single biggest problem, we need an active coder for any fix. A lot of the classes suffer...
Re: Monks [message #1828 is a reply to message #1827] Wed, 24 July 2019 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iclemore is currently offline  Iclemore

the Monk Hero
Was kinda my point that there isn't much point playing a monk when you can play BD instead! Smile

-The sword is only as sharp as the one who wields it
Re: Monks [message #1840 is a reply to message #1828] Thu, 25 July 2019 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well no arguing you right?

Enjoy.
Re: Monks [message #1841 is a reply to message #1840] Thu, 25 July 2019 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wade is currently offline  Wade

the Rager
Sure there is.
I don't have to fight other blade dancers for swords.
Re: Monks [message #1845 is a reply to message #1841] Sat, 27 July 2019 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quenton is currently offline  Quenton

The Candy Dragon, Made of Gooey Sticky Candy
For what it's worth, I think Dragon, Snake, and Mantis monks are fine. They all fit a niche, and do it well. My last mantis in sader often beat blade dancers in crusader(though they won more often than I did), and was regularly able to beat our defender, which no one else could reliably. Counter defense is one of the best skills in the game. Snakes have their knockout, maledictions, and their crazy rounds. Dragons are tough as hell. So we have tank, crowd control, and dps nicely defined.

Tigers I would think of as the assassins of the monks, or an alternative dps, but they don't seem to quite work out. They have been reworked though, so I'd love to see someone play one now, and then we can judge. My guess is they still need some slight buffing.

Crane monks are dumb, and need reworking. I'd say make them more healer/paladin style, and then we have all the major roles filled by monks. But honestly, any love would be good.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 July 2019 14:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Monks [message #1846 is a reply to message #1845] Sat, 27 July 2019 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I'd hate to say this but the rework did nothing beneficial to tigers. I've seen at least 3-5 played and they never worked out well.. aside from a crazy luck roll or fastolph brand... they'll never be a snake or mantis.. so waste of time imo
Re: Monks [message #1847 is a reply to message #1846] Sun, 28 July 2019 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wade is currently offline  Wade

the Rager
agreed, mantis and snake or bust.
Re: Monks [message #1849 is a reply to message #1709] Mon, 29 July 2019 21:42 Go to previous message
Serik is currently offline  Serik

the Monk Hero
I lead light with a elf mantis monk many years ago, before they were given advanced hand-to-hand and the extra two points to dex. I believe it was shortly after they were given rugged training, but I rarely wore anything other than the few traditional slots they had to begin with, since I knew so little about the skill.

Anyways, I thought I was ridiculously powerful. 25 int lightblasts on a 1.5 round lag, even with the int cap at 21 or whatever it was for melee classes, on top of armor of god, blind fighting, counter defense, and tai chi were out of this world.

Maybe that's just one specific subclass with the right house powers, but I could hardly believe they got advanced hand to hand and two points to dex later. I could already dodge like a maniac and I hit so often due to class skills that it really seemed over-the-top to me.

With protection evil scrolls, in addition to all of the spells they have access to with wands and staves, I really wasn't scared of much of anything.

Just my opinion, but I think monks are in a pretty good spot. At least Mantis monks.
Previous Topic: New class
Next Topic: Chevalier - For Release
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 21 13:26:58 CDT 2019

Dark Mists Banner
Enter the Dark Mists!
Home | Newcomers | Races | Classes | Religions | Houses | The World of Thera | Help

.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Forum design by: Dielantha Darshiva, Lord of the Silver Dragon for Dark Mists MUD. Updated by Palmis
Copyright ©1996-2017